A meeting was held on October 10, 2013 at Al Sadiq Islamic English School.
1. Mr. Tajammul Ali Mirza – Principal.
2. Ms. NaheedHaideri
3. Twelve members of the Parent Council.
1. Mr. Farooq Khawaja
1. To elect a spokesperson and convenor for the current academic year.
2. To discuss briefly the aims of the parent council.
1. The meeting started at 13.00 hrs with recitation from the Holy Quran.
2. The Principal gave a brief talk about the aims of the council and welcomed any parents who wished to join the council.
3. The members elected Mr.MuhammadJafar as the spokesperson and Mrs. S. Rasul as the convenor of the committee.
4. Urgent issues were also discussed among the members and the same were discussed with the principal. These are outlined below.
4.1 Opening the school gates earlier: Some members requested the school to open the gates a little earlier than usual. A few students come to school as early as 6.30 am and have to wait outside the school premises till 7.00 am when the gates open. It was agreed that the gates would be open at 6.45 am. The principal explained that it was not practical to open the gates earlier than this because there would be nobody within the school premises to take responsibility of the children.
4.2 Healthy Food: Members requested the school committee to provide healthy meals in the school canteen. The principal assured the members that unhealthy snacks such as chips and candy were not being sold in the school canteen. The principal has also welcomed any parent/outlet that can supply healthy snacks to the school. Any suggestions are welcome.
4.3 Shortage of Teachers: This is a problem that the school is still facing. The school committee is working to sort out this issue.
4.4 Improving attendance of members in the meetings: The parent council is dismayed by the low attendance of members in the meetings. It was suggested that a breakdown of the progress made by the school in the previous academic year in collaboration with the parent council be made. The same will be forwarded to all parents to encourage more members to join the committee and thereby improving the attendance in these crucial meetings.
4.5 It was anonymously agreed by all members that future meetings will be held on Thursdays during school hours.
5. The principal pointed out the progress made by the school.
5.1 Al Sadiq Islamic English school was selected by the KHDA as one of the schools which allows active parental engagement with the school committee.
5.2 Projectors will be installed in all classes from grade V onwards to enhance the learning process in the classrooms.
5.3 Plans are underway to increase seating areas within the school for students during recess.
Light refreshments were served and the meeting was adjourned at 14.00 hrs.
Note : Next Parent council meeting will be held on 7th November ,2013 at 11 A.M .